Fritz Legal, Attorney, November 2014 – Present
- Diversified legal practice focusing on civil complex litigation and small business representation. Practice areas include: consumer, employment, tort, contract, catastrophic personal injury, qui tam/false and fraudulent claims (whistleblower litigation), and public interest advocacy.
- Professional relationships with individual practitioners and law firms allow for networking, referrals and co-counsel arrangements.
Miller & Milove, Attorney, March 2014– November 2014
- Litigation and arbitration of securities fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, elder abuse, breach of contract, and unfair business practice actions in state and federal courts and before FINRA.
- Responsible for mentoring of junior attorneys and staff as well as resource management.
Marlin & Saltzman LLP, Irvine, CA, Attorney, August 2010 – December 2013
- Experience handling all phases of litigation including significant motion practice, discovery, trial preparation and case resolution.
- Responsible for investigation, development and litigation of complex class actions in state and federal courts.
- Counsel for numerous classes, and putative classes, of employees alleging wage and hour violations in state and federal courts.
- Responsible for investigation and representation of plaintiffs in pharmaceutical mass tort cases.
- Responsible for investigation of antitrust and qui tam actions.
- Experience in settlement of class actions including: negotiation/mediation, drafting of settlement agreements, notice materials and claim forms, and fund distribution procedures. Notable settlements include:
- Settlement requiring Wal-Mart to pay a maximum of $86 million to the class members, which includes approximately $12 million in wages (largely comprised of vacation pay) and approximately $74 million in potential penalties and interest related to the unpaid wages.
- Settlement of $73M between Bank of America and more than 180,000 employees who were forced to do off-the-clock work in violation of the FLSA and state wage and hour laws.
- Settlement of a maximum payment of $35M from H&R Block on behalf of 16,000 employees whose wages were not timely paid at upon their termination.
- Settlement of $10.5M in action alleging misclassification of Aon insurance company’s account managers.
- Settlement of $4.25M on behalf of 96 current and former employees of Stryker Corporation for failure to reimburse employees for business expenses.
- Settlement of $1.25M of action against Bank of America alleging WARN, ERISA, and breach of contract on behalf of employees who were terminated after the change in control of Countrywide Financial Services.
- Settlement of $1M on behalf of flooring installation employees in California seeking recovery for failure to pay minimum wages and overtime, and failure to reimburse employees for expenses incurred in the course of their employment.
Kristen Marquis Fritz, Esq., Contract Attorney, December 2013 – March 2014; August 2008 – August 2010
- Engaged on complex cases in state and federal courts in various jurisdictions for solo practitioners, partnerships and law firms.
- Practice areas included: consumer fraud class actions, product defect class actions, qui tam actions, asbestos personal injury actions, employment actions, and appeals.
Thornton & Naumes LLP, Boston, MA, Of Counsel, August 2008 – August 2010; Associate, October 2001 – August 2008
- Engaged in extremely active national litigation practice focusing on varied, sophisticated and complex litigation.
- Responsible for investigation and development of actions, and all phases of litigation including motion practice, discovery, trial preparation and case resolution for multiple consumer class actions and toxic, mass and pharmaceutical tort claims.
- Matters handled include:
- Class counsel and nationwide coordinating counsel for multiple complex class actions alleging insurance bad faith. Responsible for all litigation-related matters pending in state and federal courts in Massachusetts, New York, West Virginia, and before the United States Supreme Court. Achieved settlement of $465M (plus interest during pendency of 12 year appeal) from Travelers Insurance Company.
- Class counsel in environmental class action involving claims of property damage.
- Counsel in multi-state class actions against Ford Motor Company for breach of warranties and consumer protection. Responsible for all phases of litigation with significant federal and state court appellate history.
- Counsel for numerous toxic tort and asbestos personal injury/wrongful death plaintiffs. Responsible for filing of complaints, motion practice, propounding and responding to discovery, taking and defending depositions and trial preparation.
- Experience in negotiation and settlement of claims.
- Experience also included considerable, complex brief writing to state and federal courts, including multiple appellate courts in various jurisdictions.
- Responsible for handling various other matters attendant to complex litigation practice.
- New York
- Texas (inactive)
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Central Districts of California
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Juris Doctorate, Northeastern University School of Law, Boston, MA
- Intellectual Property Independent Study: Comparative analysis of proceedings under the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act and the ICANN Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy.
Villanova University School of Law, Villanova, PA and Allegheny University, Philadelphia, PA
- Completed first year of studies in joint J.D./Ph.D. (clinical psychology) program.
Bachelor of Arts, Summa Cum Laude; Paralegal Certificate, Boston University,Boston, MA
- Academic Honors: Phi Beta Kappa; University Honors Program; Golden Key National Honor Society; Psychology National Honor Society; Dean’s List (all semesters).
RECOGNITION, AFFILIATIONS, CONFERENCES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Selected as a San Diego Rising Star by Super Lawyers (2015, 2016)
- Selected as a Southern California Rising Star by Super Lawyers (2013)
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
- Bench/Bar Committee Co-Chair
- Member: Professional Advancement Committee, Networking Committee
- Think Dignity f/k/a Girls’ Think Tank
- Volunteer: Jewish Family Service of San Diego
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
Conferences – Invited Speaker :
- Wage & Hour Class Actions after AT&T Mobility v. Concepcion, State Bar of California (2012)
- Mass Torts and Class Action Litigation, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (2008)
- Direct Actions Against Insurers, Mealey’s Asbestos Insurance Conference (2007)
Publications and Writing:
- Brief of Law Professors As Amici Curiae In Support Of Respondents, DirecTV, Inc. v. Imburgia, NO. 14-462, In the Supreme Court of United States (heard October, 2015; decided December 14, 2015)
- Excellence in Legal Writing: Avoiding the Pitfalls, ATLA Women’s Caucus Newsletter
- From the Web, ATLA Sidebar Newsletter
- International travel
- Language studies